OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
Deborah Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:36:18 -0400
No real knowledge here, just "informed speculation" or "pretty
educated guesses." Re the article in Bird Watchers Digest (which
refers to chipmunks but might apply to other animals as well):

According to the South Carolina Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont
Natural History website (www.hiltonpond.org), "On average . . .
stomach analyses reveal plant material makes up 90 to 95 percent of a
chipmunk's diet, except in spring, when animal components may increase
to 30 percent—possibly an attempt to replenish protein lost during
winter torpor."

Deborah Griffith
Managing Editor
Ohio Winter Bird Atlas