OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 2009 13:54:35 -0400
This morning I birded the area around Charlie's Pond and the Pickaway County
Airport. On River Drive, there was a Northern Bobwhite in the area of
several Ring-necked Pheasants. I also saw & heard one Dickcissel along this
road.

At the Pickaway County Airport there was at least one Grasshopper Sparrow
singing west of the entrance road.

Along the road to the Scippo Sewer District Wastewater Facility there was a
Yellow-breasted Chat seen along the railroad near the end of the road. I did
not find a Blue Grosbeak, but another birder told me she had seen a male
Blue Grosbeak in the same vicinity where I saw the Chat. The other birder
also had seen one or two (I don't recall which she said) Orchard Orioles in
the trees at the beginning of the road to the Sewage Facility.

I know the DOW releases Northern Bobwhites in the fall at some Wildlife
areas. Does anyone know if any are released anywhere near this southern
Pickaway County area?

Gene Stauffer

Grove City