OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 2009 20:15:04 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trip looking for strays along the Darby Creek corridor (west of Columbus) didn't find any remarkable rarities, but we did scrounge up quite a few good birds.  After I visited the Sycamore Plains area of Prairie Oaks early, the group looked around Darby Bend Lakes, Heritage bikeway (for Bell's Vireo), and the West access of Prairie Oaks.  Notables included

Spotted Sandpipers - a pair were very defensive around the pond at west Prairie Oaks, and look to be likely nesters here.

Flycatchers - good numbers of Willow Flycatchers were along the Heritage bikepath and the Coneflower trail at Prairie Oaks.  Pairs of Crested Flycatchers were active at both Sycamore Plains & the footbridge by Darby Bend Lakes.

Swallows - plenty of expected Barn, Tree, & Rough-winged, but a Cliff Swallow out along the Heritage bike trail was unexpected.  This is not the first time I've seen them there; either they are far commuters from the Fishinger Rd bridge colony or there is an unknown colony somewhere along Darby Creek.

Vireos - the Bell's along  Heritage Trail could not be located this morning.  Warbling and Red-eyed were at several locations in Prairie Oaks

Thrushes & Mimids - a few Wood Thrushes were on territories in the wooded draws along the west side of Prairie Oaks, and we watched one very anxious pair give alarm calls without discovering the source of their alarm.  Gray Catbirds were perhaps the most common bird of the morning, but we couldn't locate a Thrasher.

Cedar Waxwings - We had excellent looks at them along the Heritage bikepath, where fruiting mulberries made up a significant portion of the edge plants.

Wood Warblers - Yellow Warblers & Common Yellowthroats were widespread, which was expected.  Less expected was a singing Parula at Sycamore Plains, and unexpected was a Yellow-br.Chat along the Heritage bikepath.

Sparrows - grassland sparrows seem to have taken a holiday.  I found 1 Savannah at Sycamore Plains grassland trail, and we had 1 singing Vesper Sparrow along the Heritage bikepath, but we were in good grassland habitat for much of the morning and should have had more.

Tanagers & Buntings - forest patches are small here, so a singing Scarlet Tanager at Sycamore Plains was noteworthy.  Indigo Buntings were common, especially along the Heritage bikepath.

Icterids - an ugly baby Grackle along the Heritage bikepath proved that they do indeed breed in this area, and we had female Redwings feeding nestings at several spots.  Singing Baltimore and Orchard Orioles were along the Coneflower trail in the west side of Prairie Oaks.