OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
"Pratt, William C. Jr. Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pratt, William C. Jr. Dr.
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:48:56 -0400
Dear Bill:  We met some time ago, I think in Adams County, and I appreciate your reports on Ohio birds, since I try to keep track of them myself in this corner of southwest Ohio where I live.  We had red-headed woodpeckers in our woods fifty years ago but they are all vanished, even from Hueston Woods State Park.  I have to go to Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge in Indiana to see them now, and last week i was there and i saw two beauties.  I used to see them regularly at Monteagle TN, where I lead birdwalks in the summer, but for the past year they have been sadly lacking there, too.  So I'm concerned that this beautiful woodpecker is on its way to extinction, just like the Ivory-billed.  We have plenty of spectacular Pileated Woodpeckers around.  Why is that species flourishing when smaller woodpeckers are threatened?  Bird behavior is a mystery to me but I hope we don't lose any because of human carelessness.  Anyway, thanks for the information about a favorite species which has been disappearing steadily.  Bill Pratt at Miami of Ohio

  1. Need help identifying possible OBBAII bird-possible answer
  2. Red Headed Woodpeckers (3)
  3. Charlie's Pond area, Pickaway Co., Sat., May 30th
  4. Conneaut White-rumped Sandpipers
  5. N.AlumLake,5-30
  6. Yellow-Breasted Chat and Wilson's Warbler (Southern Delaware County)
  7. FW: FW: [Ohio-birds] Red Headed Woodpeckers
  8. Green Heron in Lakewood
  9. Punderson State Park