OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:37:12 -0400
  Yesterday I spent a bit of morning free time checking through several of the larger ravines along Big Walnut Creek, northeast of Columbus.  Two of them, Duncan Glen and Walnut Ravine, are off the east shore of Hoover Reservoir (which is just the flooded Big Walnut valley), while a third is the main ravine of Blendon Woods and 2 more are the Academy Creek ravines that empty into Academy Park/Woodside Green Park in Gahanna. These ravines are great spots for forest breeders, so they always merit some scrutiny in June.  Notables included:

Barred Owl - 1 owlet has been out in Gahanna for nearly 2 weeks; another was calling in Walnut Ravine yesterday (where they have bred in recent years).  They likely breed in the other 2 ravines as well.

Cuckoos - oddly, not a one.  These are usually good spots for them, but they've been scarce this Spring

Hummingbirds - almost abundant.  I had females flycatching in Duncan Glen and Blendon Woods, and we've had several visiting our feeder near Woodside Green.  Looks to be a banner year for them here.

Woodpeckers - calling Pileateds were at Walnut Ravine, Blendon Woods, and Woodside Green.   Finding nests, however, has proven to be very challenging.

Flycatchers - good numbers of Wood Pewees and Acadians at all sites, which is expected.  What was a bit more surprising were the good numbers of Great Cresteds at each site; most have at least 1 pair.

Thrushes - Wood Thrushes are in near record numbers in Blendon Woods, and Walnut Ravine has several as well.  Duncan Glen, however, lacks them this year; they're not common there since the understory is less well-developed.  No stray Veeries were noted at any of these sites.

Wood Warblers - Prothonotaries were on territory at both Duncan Glen and Woodside Green; they've nested in both locations within the last 5 years, just not regularly.  Louisiana Waterthrushes were calling at Duncan Glen and singing at Walnut Ravine.  An Ovenbird singing along the Streamside trail at Blendon Woods jibes with a general uptick in this species in central Ohio this Summer.  Blendon's forest has near-record numbers of Hooded Warblers; I had 4-5 singing males and 2 calling females there.

Tanagers - good #s of Scarlets, with 1-2 calling at each location.  Oddly, I couldn't find any Summer tanagers around the ravines at Blendon, although I know 1-2 are hanging around the uplands south and east of the Nature Center.