OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:07:23 -0400
 Hello all,

Today I was doing some atlas point counts and had the following in rural mercer county:

50-60 Dickcissels - Many around the town of Maria Stein, but just about any alfalfa field and many of the wheat fields had them.

If anyone wants to find a dickcissel on their own, right now you are just about sure to find a few in the western counties of Van Wert, Paulding, Mercer, and Darke Counties if you find an alfalfa field.  They generally get harder to find the farther east you go, but anywhere west of I-75 would probably have them if you drive around in the country enough.

Also I had many of the following:

Red-Headed woodpecker- 6

Grasshopper Sparrow 7

Savannah Sparrow 22

Vesper Sparrow- 12

Bobolinks - 0 none were in locations they have been in previous years

Herring Gull- 1- usually I don't even pay attention to summer herring gulls because I know they are non-breeders around here, but this one was in immaculate breeding plumage. Could there be a nest near by? It was at the Coldwater water treatment plant which is less than five miles from Grand Lake St. Marys.

And last but not least I saw at least 4 Euco Doves in Celina.

Two were on the wires at the corner of Logan and Elm streets, and two were on the ground near the grain elevator a few blocks away.

Thats all for now!

Troy