OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:02:34 -0400
Today stopped at Tinkers Creek State Nature Preserve (Portage County).
Saw a handful of brown creepers on the north trail. This is the area were I
spotted a nest some time back.

Then walked on the other trail. Did not make it as far as the first turn off
and heard brown creepers. Saw a few at the tree that usually sports the most
in the winter.

Continued on to the area near pond one, which is where I usually see lots of
kinglets in the winter. Was stopped in my tracks when it sounded like a
wintertime brown creeper frenzy. I could see cedar waxwings in the treetops
and thought perhaps this was the noise - plus know there are mockingbirds
out there.

But it turned out over a dozen brown creepers were surrounding me. This is
the number I could see at one time. Ended up just sitting there watching
them, did not walk out any further.

It was also nice to see:

2 bald eagles
a pair of scarlet tanagers

and on my way out there was a red breasted grosbeak as well as a flycatcher
(think willow) in a tree seen from the parking lot.

Renee