OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
Laura Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 00:40:24 -0400
Thanks for reporting! I stopped by the Mansfield Airport at 6:30 this
evening and found three of the Upland Sandpipers in the grassy area right
next to the public parking lot at about 9 o'clock on the loop.
http://tinyurl.com/kpv6dj

Does this make me an official birder? - As I was leaving town and
approaching the highway, I was suddenly pulled over by THREE police cars,
and the officers approached on both sides of my car with hands on their
weapons. I was reported for "suspicious activity" at the airport! The
airport had appeared closed, with only a couple of other cars in the PUBLIC
parking lot, neither of which had occupants with binoculars which I thought
odd. The officers were skeptical of my explanation of photographing the rare
birds from my car window, despite my Ohio WARBLR plates and two birding
bumper stickers. They didn't seem impressed with the pictures on my camera,
either.

Even though it is totally legal to be in this public parking lot, the
officers recommend that future birders touch base with someone at the
National Guard office to let them know you are looking for the sandpipers. I
wish I could point you to the office, I missed it completely.

I'm spending the next couple of days in Northern Ohio with my grandbabies
and try and stay out of trouble!

Laura Keene (with a red face)
Mason, OH