OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:44:38 -0400
To All,

Remember this is the same problem that we had with the Bluebird up in Toledo
and for that matter the Black Neck Stilts here in Marion.  And to some
degree..the wood storks out east.

I want to offer some observations that might help the situations in the
future.:

If you lived in a neighborhood for at least five or six years, you would
(hopefully) know at least what everyone on that street looked like.  You see
them every day, you see what cars the drive, you know that, that weird woman
at the top of the hill above you, is just a bird watcher and not a lunatic
using her Binocs to spy on you......I hope... :-)

Now knowing that you know at least what is stated above...What would you
think if you saw an individual or group of individuals that you had never
seen before and didn't know were going to be in the area, were leaning
against a lamp post or street sign or in a car parked on the side of the
road...maybe with binocs, or a camera that has a big honkin lens on it...or
people using SCOPES that looked a lot like what spotters use...wouldn't you
start feeling just a little nervous?  You might say.."They aren't from
around here.  What are they doing here?  I bet he/she's a
detective/ex-lover/mafia hit man/drug dealer/TERRORIST.   Who or what  is
he/she spying on?"

The Police and National Guard are PAID to be nervous.  That IS my tax
dollars at work. If someone or a group of someones that are different is in
the area, it is their job to make sure that they are not terrorist or spies.
Especially when billions of dollars of equipment are possibly being
transported in equally expensive C-130s.  They treat all threats equally.
I'm sure that if the bird was on Nat. Guard land, and you were parked on the
road next to a nondescript fence, you would not have gotten a visit from the
local sheriff with their 9mm hand gun.  It would have been a more impressive
"gentleman/woman" with an equally impressive two handed weapon with the
initials M-16.

When a rare bird has been spotted on private property, don't you go and talk
to the land owner, explain the importance of the bird, and get their
permission to park in their driveway or walk back to their pond.  And then
get permission for others to go back?

Where I work, (a big gray building out in East Liberty area) there area a
lot of overhead power lines that have to be inspected semi annually.  The
power company, even though they own the towers and the lines and the right
of way to the land STILL lets us know that they will be flying around in a
maroon helicopter.  It's courtesy...plus it saves a lot of headaches to the
local police getting calls of a helicopter flying erratically around power
lines.

If you know the bird is rare and you know that others will want to see
it...especially if it is near an airport/train station/manufacturing
plant/whatever...at the very least let them know what is going on.  They
will be able to let you know the peculiarities of the area like a base or
such, and they might say.."you might want to stay away on  such and such
day, the area is going to be...busy."

 If I ever spot a rare bird, and knew that others might want to see it, I
would call the sheriff/city police/OHP to give them a heads up that there
might be more traffic in an area. It may not be "required", but it is the
right thing to do.  AND 9 times out of 10, all you will need to do is make
sure that your car is off of the road and not cause a disturbance.

Courtesy, (and doing unto others) it goes a long way.

Steve