OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:42:23 -0400
On my way back from a Saturday, June13, family get-together near York, PA, I stopped at several places for Ohio birding.  First, I stopped near but not at the Harrison County Airport, where I saw at least four Upland Sandpipers (UPSA) near the road, after first hearing at least two birds giving their rising and falling whistle-like song/call.  This was at about 7:15 am until about 8:30 am on Sunday morning.  Actually, I heard only the falling whistled part of their song/call, because they were relatively far away.  The birds near the road sat on fence posts and in the field allowing relatively close photos from my van.  The location:  Using an old Delorme (copyright 1995), page 62, approximately B3, and MapQuest, I developed these directions.   Go northeast on Rt. 22, beyond Moorefield toward Steubenville.  This is the direction one would take on Rt. 22, if starting from Cambridge on I-70 east to I-77 and then north east on Rt. 22.  Just as the Rt. 22 climbs a hill toward the intersection with Rt. 250, and southwest of Cadiz, turn east-southeast on Industrial Park Drive (name in MapQuest but not in my Delorme).  There is a sign for the Harrison County Airport at this intersection that is easily seen when travelling northeast from Moorefield, but not when travelling the opposite direction, southwest on Rt. 22.  After turning on to Industrial Park Drive, go up the hill on Industrial Park Drive, past the fairgrounds on the left and pass a highway department building on the right.  Just beyond the highway building is a dirt/gravel pull off on the right and just beyond the pull off is a dirt gravel road (private?) that leads down a hill and partway up another hill.  Beyond the highway building there is considerable grassland and open rolling hills on both sides of this road.  About ¼ mile beyond the highway building is a high blue tower/water tank out in the grassland.  This grassland is a cattle grazing area, so it is very likely rarely mowed.  Between the highway building and this blue tower on the right hand side of the road is where I heard two birds singing/calling and saw one of these distant birds displaying, and photographed from my van several UPSA sitting on fence posts right along the road.  Also at this location were singing/displaying Bobolinks, singing Grasshopper Sparrow, calling Horned Larks as well as Eastern Meadowlarks and Red-winged Blackbirds.  If one continues east-south east on this road, this road intersects with Rt. 9.  A right turn at the intersection with Rt. 9 leads one to the Harrison County Airport.   This area has extensive UPSA habitat.  Last summer when I drove through this area, I noticed this good grassland habitat.  I wonder how many pairs there are in this extensive grassland area.  This habitat reminds me of UPSA habitat in upstate New York, where I lived for 17 years as well as a traditional location in southeastern PA where one could find UPSA during breeding season.  These areas in OH, NY and PA were maintained for cattle grazing for extended periods, yielding undisturbed grassland areas good for UPSA.  I'll need to check to see if this location is currently being covered in the BB Atlas.

Next I continued toward Cincinnati and stopped by Preston Street in Bexley to see the Yellow-crowned Night Herons.  I saw the active nest with three birds as previously reported on Sunday, June 14, by Bill Whan.  When I was there at about 10:30 - 11:00 am, two adults were standing by the nest with young birds.  I got some distant photos.

I continued to Hilliard and Homestead Park, where I found the Bell's Vireo singing along the bike trail as the location reported by Rob Lowry.  This bird was very cooperative for photos.

Unfortunately, as I left Hillard, the sky started to look dark with rain clouds south toward Cincinnati.  By the time I got home, the rain was starting, so I wasn't able to finish much needed yard work.

However, it was a great a day for birding and travelling back home in Ohio.  Actually, it was much better than yard work!!  :>)  :>)

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH