OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2009

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:30:06 -0400
All,

Thanks to Scott Pendleton's update post about the Upland Sandpipers near
the Harrison County Airport.  I thought that a friendly reminder about
birder etiquette might be helpful.

Be respectful of laws-Don't park on the road and respect the rights of
property owners.

Do NOT drive on or enter private property if it is so posted or in areas
where there is any doubt without checking first.

Treat the area respectfully as if it were your own neighborhood where
you live.

Time your visit when there is likely to be minimal traffic.

Hopefully, this reminder is not needed and the birding community will be
respectful.  Remember that large groups of birders converging on this
site will bring the attention of the local authorities.

Why do I post this?  I have been "chasing" birds for more than 40 years,
since at least the mid-to late 60's.  My first encounter with the
authorities when seeking Upland Sandpiper occurred in New Jersey near
Atlantic City at an apparent airport facility in the late 60's.  Three
of us were scanning the grass for Upland Sandpipers with binoculars and
telescopes from a roadside outside the fenced facility.  We were
confronted by the authorities.  Little did we know that this was a
highly secure armed forces facility, probably the Air Force.  We pulled
out our Peterson Field guides to explain that we were looking for Upland
Sandpipers.  The name had just been changed from Upland Plover to Upland
Sandpiper. We realized our dilemma, just as we showed the picture in the
field guide-Peterson still called it an Upland Plover!!  It took quite a
bit of talking and negotiation by our friend, a physics professor at the
University of Delaware, to talk our way out of that one!!  Since then, I
have been cautious about Upland Sandpiper and airports!

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH