OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:50:54 -0400
A wrap-up of the thread on odd old generalizations about birds.

As for waxwings, they seldom spend much time on the ground, but tasty
insects will get them down there, according to several informants, as
will water.

I received confirmation on the snakeskin in blue grosbeak nests from
another published source, though it indicated it is not the case 100% of
the time.

The list of birds never or seldom hosts of cowbirds (swallow, titmouse,
wren, nuthatch) seems pretty accurate, at least for Ohio, based on
Hicks's study quoted earlier.

Finally, the peach-tree hypothesis for American goldfinch nests. I heard
from two birder/orchardists:
First: "I have a large home orchard and often get robin nests, usually
in apple trees. But I have also had robin nests in grapes, pear trees,
apricot trees, and yes, at least twice that I can remember, in PEACH
trees. This isn't very scientific at all, I can't give you dates,
photos, or even if they were successful, but robins will occasionally
build a nest in a peach tree!"
Second: "As a fruit grower, I have seen numerous goldfinch nests in
peach trees, but cannot remember any other species.  The nest is usually
placed in a narrow upright fork.  I have seen robins nesting in apple,
cherry, plum, and grape, but not peach. Early in the season, the peach
tree perhaps does not have enough canopy to conceal nests, but when
goldfinches nest there is full canopy."
        The second informant offers a quite plausible explanation for the
phenomenon. It might also explain why a double-clutching robin might
choose a peach tree later in the summer, when goldfinches nest.

I found another that might be of interest. Oliver Davie had this to say
110 years ago: "In Ohio the Ruby-throat [hummingbird] prefers nesting in
the branches of the buckeye to all other trees." So there.
Bill Whan
Columbus

p.s. Over the past couple of days, white ibises have been reported in
Ohio of course, Missouri (4), Illinois (4), Indiana (13), and newly one
in West Virginia.