OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:31:18 -0700
Willow Point WA - good as ever; spike in # of yellowlegs:

Lesser Yellowlegs  47
Semipalmated Sandpiper  17
Least Sandpiper  19
Stilt Sandpiper  1
Short-billed Dowitcher  33

Pickerel Creek WA - I did a lot of walking here, scoping out habitat.  Best area is directly northeast of the maintenance building out on the dikes.  You can't see it from the road, but the building is behind the only island of trees out in the marsh, directly north of the third pulloff, I believe, from the east (the one before the observation tower).  The majority of the dows were here, as well as the Wilson's Phalaropes.  The adult Western Sandpiper was north and east of the second pulloff (?) from the east.  There's a rock pile at the pulloff and a green sign that says "C5" facing west.  Cross the ditch, walk the dike north and take the second right (east) and you will see a dried up area still holdng some water.  The Western was here consorting with yellowlegs and quite a few peeps.  Sorry for the hazy directions...it was a long day hiking out in the baking sun.  Another productive, though seemingly quick-drying shorebird spot fell roughly
 between these two.  As I walked around, I stumbled upon shorebirds in dried-up corners of impoundments throughout the marsh, but these area held the main concentrations.

Greater Yellowlegs  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  30
Semipalmated Sandpiper  30
WESTERN SANDPIPER  1  ad
Least Sandpiper  30
Stilt Sandpiper  1
Short-billed Dowitcher  122
WILSON'S PHALAROPE  2

After Craig left, 13 ad. Stilt Sandpipers dropped into Conneaut for Emil & Jerry.

Shorebirds were apparently on the move today.

- Gabe Leidy
Cleveland