OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Lana Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lana Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:18:23 -0400
I went back out to the spit around 4:30.   There was nice sunshine,
plenty of people, wind surfers everywhere........ and no shorebirds.
By about 6pm I had only seen 2 Semipalmated Plovers and 2 Semipalmated
Sandpipers.   Around 6 a truck load of kids decided to run through the
water....and got stuck....typical.   They ended up right where the
only shorebirds had been all evening.   They spun their wheels for
about 20 minutes while the crowd of people looked on and chuckled.
A wind surfer went out with a camera and took their picture then
turned and said that someone gets stuck every weekend.   He did
mention that last week's stuck truck was much better than this
week's.   Anyway the 4 shorebirds left and I watched 9 Semipalmated
Plovers fly over so I left  given the truck and kids were going to be
there for awhile.

I'll be up here probably through Tuesday so I'll be sure to report
anything that I find.   The birding wasn't bad with the rain but I
pretty much deleted all the images that I took.

Lana Hays
www.lanahays.com