OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Michele Skolmutch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:01:19 -0400
Yesterday I emailed the information below, but for some reason, it didn't
come through.  I was tied up with getting a new laptop (old one was dying
:-(), but thought the kestral observations were interesting and wanted to
pass them along.

Sandhill cranes were still present at Funk Bottoms late this morning and can
be seen from the observation tower and from SR 95 as reported by Su Snyder
yesterday.  A huge highlight of the trip was 10 American kestrals located at
the junction of Wilderness Road and an unnamed road near where peat
excavation is taking place.  They were performing all sorts of aerial
maneuvers and perching in groups along the electric lines.

Other highlights from Funk and Killbuck WA are as follows:

eastern kingbirds - 4
tree & barn swallows
great crested flycatchers - 2
acadian flycatcher