OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Aaron Milenski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Milenski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:26:42 -0400
My boy and I spent all morning and afternoon at Holden today, and despite it not
being the best time of year for bird sightings, had some nice finds.
The best was
a hooded warbler (first I've ever seen.)   We also saw many indigo
buntings, many
bluebirds, house wrens, downy, hairy and red-bellied woodpeckers, flickers, a
brown thrasher, a baltimore oriole, two female rose-breasted
grosebeaks (no males,
darn), a red-tailed hawk, as well as the usual assortment of chipping and song
sparrows, goldfinches, red-winged blackbirds, cardinals, titmice, nuthatches,
chickadees, crows, turkey vultures, etc...   We also had the usual frustrating
red-eyed vireo experience where we heard it singing incessantly but could not
see it or even pinpoint where it was.

Other than the hooded warbler, though, the most interesting bird we encountered
was a singing bird I could not identify by song.  I hope someone can help.  We
were in a large meadow, and it was singing from a large tree near the
edge.  It had
a high pitched song, and the song was a repetition of the same note,
going higher
and higher and faster and faster until it stopped, whereupon it
started again.  Two
of these birds were singing to each other but we could not find them
to see what
they were.  It reminded me almost of a kettle boiling, and was a
rather stunning
song, in my opinion.  Any ideas?