OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:55:05 -0400
Greetings,

For the rest of my time off, I decided to try and stay local.  So today I went to some places that I have always meant to get to this year.

As some know but most don't, my parents own the small golf course in New Bloomington.  It all but butts up on the old portion of Big Island WA.   They have land there that is not cultivated and is used for a buffer between the golf course and neighbors.  It has tall grasses there and has a wooded lot running along the back side of it.  I have been meaning to go out there and see what's there.   I was hoping that there were some bobolinks there but there weren't.  But what  I did find was pretty cool.  Song, Tree, Field, and  Grasshopper Sparrows were flittering and calling out to one another. Chickadees, Goldfinches,  Indigo Buntings, and Red Bellied Woodpeckers were in and out of the woods...Blackbirds were everywhere.

I then went over to tour Big Island Wildlife Area looking for shore birds. Along 95 there were only killdeer. back along Larue Prospect Rd it was pretty much the same.  I saw a couple of what looked to be small sandpipers but couldn't get  close enough to get a better ID. I was over at the first pond from Espyville Rd.  While there, I also had 3 indigo buntings calling out and showing off, along the front of the dyke.

While over on 95 I spotted a Mystery bird. Bringing food back to it's hidden nest. I'm 90% sure it's an Alder Flycatcher, but it could be something else. Flycatchers always get me,  they never sing for me so I can never narrow it down.  I posted over at the OOS Forum Bird ID area for anyone who wants to look.

Happy Birding and God Bless

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)
Blog: http://sjlarueslenses.blogspot.com/

Ezekiel 17:22-24

22 " 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will take a shoot from the very top of a cedar and plant it;
I will break off a tender sprig from its topmost shoots and plant it on a high and lofty mountain.
23 On the mountain heights of Israel I will plant it; it will produce branches and bear fruit and become a splendid cedar.
Birds of every kind will nest in it; they will find shelter in the shade of its branches.
24 All the trees of the field will know that I the LORD bring down the tall tree and make the low tree grow tall.
I dry up the green tree and make the dry tree flourish.
      " 'I the LORD have spoken, and I will do it.' "