OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:32:10 -0400
It always seesm strange to talk about strays in the beginning of Summer, but this is a reliable time to find out-of-place landbirds in central Ohio.  I've been mopping up OBBA blocks in southern Franklin, western Fairfield & Pickaway Counties over the past week and have noticed a definite bloom of strays.  While warblers lead the pack, there are a variety of birds to keep an eye out for, including

Wood Pewees -  numbers have exploded at several sites, presumably from post-breeders and juveniles starting to move around.  I've had them in the tiniest fragments of woodland

Crested Flycatchers - many family groups of this large flycatcher are along most of the watercourses in Columbus right now.  They seem to have had a very successful year, and it's allowing them to stray into lots of habitats.

Belted Kingfishers - after a very low-key summer, I've started to find them in a variety of locations.  Watch for them along Columbus-area streams and ponds over the rest of this month.

Rose-breasted grosbeaks - very hit-or-miss, but I've found adults and youngsters in a variety of locations recently.  Watch for them around young trees near woodland edges.

Black & White Warblers - What's Black and White and found all over?  These warblers, apparently.  I've had 3 in the last 5 days in very unlikely locations, including a very urban stretch of Alum Creek.  Look for them around vine-covered tangles along streams and creeks.

Kentucky Warblers - I've had singing males lurking near Lithopolis, Pataskala, and Innis Park in Columbus, all in rather unlikely spots, so these birds may be moving around as well.

Hooded Warblers - looks like a banner year for these birds as well, with large numbers in traditional spots like Blendon Woods (3-4) and Slate Run (2-3).  I've also found singing birds at several unexpected locations.

American Redstarts - stray singers at Rockmill wildlife area and near New Albany, neither places I would expect to find them, so they also seem to be exploring new terrain.

Scarlet Tanagers - these birds have also had a population surge in eastern & central Ohio, and we seem to be reaping the benefits, with singers in many small woodlots around Columbus.