OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
David J Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David J Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:28:03 -0400
Hello Don and Diana (and Ohio Birders),

I do not recall the exact year, but in the mid 1950s in New England we
experienced a similar failure of Purple Martin nesting due to cool weather
and lack of food in June.  It took many years for populations to recover.
New England is the northern fringe of Purple Martin's range whereas Ohio is
not, and I'd expect the martins here to recover more quickly.  My
recommendation is to keep managing your colonies and the martins should
recover.

Dave Horn
Columbus