OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:40:34 -0400
I was in the hay loft today  and decide to see what was left of the
Dark-eyed Junco nest that was used to successfully fledge two broods this
summer.  To my surprise one of the Junco's flew out and I saw two new eggs
(first two broods had 5 eggs each).  These two birds seem to like the safety
and security of the hay loft.  I leave the sliding door open just about 18
inches to allow them easy access but no rain to reach the hay.

I looked up the nesting information and it seems usual for this specie to
have two or three broods with 3 - 5 eggs per incubated each time.

Another interesting item is that the nest has horse hair woven into it,
probably from our horses!  I guess the horses are good for something besides
converting hay to manure!  (My wife would kill me for that comment but she
is not a list member!!)  I noticed a Chipping Sparrow nest from one of our
small spruce trees also had horse hair woven into it.

I wonder if Linda Gilbert's Junco's are nesting again??

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH (Geauga County)