OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:35:11 -0400
While checking my bird boxes at the Highbanks Metro Park wetland this evening, I observed two Least Sandpipers on the minimal shoreline.

Also, Rob Lowry had previously discovered a Blue-winged Warbler on the pet trail.  Last Saturday, my wife and I were able to observe an adult Blue-winged Warbler feeding a fledgling (three birds total) on the pet trail.  This evening, I found the same three birds in roughly the same vicinity so I am not sure if there is more than one fledging.  By luck, these warblers arrived in the same tree as an Indigo Bunting which was also feeding a fledgling.  In one of those rare birding moments, in turn, these birds were joined in the same tree by a Common Yellowthroat, two House Wrens, a Yellow-breasted Chat, a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird and finally a Carolina Wren.  They were all chipping away with alarm notes but there was no raptor present so perhaps there was a snake somewhere in the tree.  They all continued for a good 10 minutes before beginning to disperse.

Directions to Highbanks are on the OOS  web site and at
_www.metroparks.net_ (http://www.metroparks.net) .

As a side note for those thinking about shorebirds, the water level of Hoover Reservoir at the Galena boardwalk area is still much too high for any shorebird habitat at this time.

Ken Davis
Westerville, OH