OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:21:45 -0400
        First a note that Andy Sewell, Brad Sparks and I also twice saw the
immature white ibis late yesterday afternoon/evening at the spot well
described by Renee Tressler. On the second occasion, as twilight
approached, it seemed to be joining a couple of great egrets at a night
roost in trees at the westernnmost margin of this wetland area. It was a
bit spooky for us, so I would advise some caution in approaching if you
want a good look. We were surprised that we ran into no other observers
during our two hours there; this is about the 11th white ibis report for
the state, but nearly all have been one-day wonders.

        Second, I would like to pass along some generalizations made by some of
Ohio's respected ornithologists of the past, to see if modern observers
can verify or contradict them. Please offer informed comments pro or con
on the following:
        1. Have you ever seen a cedar waxwing spend more than a brief period on
the ground?
        2. Have you ever seen anything other than an American goldfinch nesting
in a peach tree?
        3. Have you ever seen a blue grosbeak nest that did not contain a
snake-skin?
        4. Have you ever found a cowbird egg in the nest of a swallow, wren,
nuthatch, or titmouse?

Thanks for any first-hand reflections,
Bill Whan
Columbus