OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Bob Baran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Baran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:34:41 -0400
It's amazing how things can go from good to bad in one day. I went out to
take another look at the nest and all for young Coopers were gone. All I
could see was some scattered down feathers around the nest. I'm assuming the
worse in that all were consumed. I doubt that they fledged from the nest.
They appeared to young (see photos at link below). I'm guessing another
Cooper. Crow(s) maybe? Squirrel's)? I'll throw a question out the experts.
Do the parents commonly turn and eat the young? Any insight would be
appreciated. I know we'll never know what happened but I'm pretty bummed out
as I was hoping to see them all fledge from the nest. That's nature I guess.

Regards,

Bob