OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:28:50 -0700
Greetings, all!

11:25 P.M.

Good news: A friend of mine was able to see the ibis this evening around 7:00 p.m. or so. It is still there.

Bad News: I realize that a great number of folks may be going to see the bird tomorrow or this weekend. Please be aware that my friend and another birder encountered the supposed "owner" of the railroad right-a-way late this evening. The man and his wife were working on a large piece of equipment that is on the tracks west of SR 821. The man was not pleased that they were there on the tracks and expressed sentiments regarding liability issues and insurance, private property, etc. Robin and the other birder attempted to express the importance of the sighting, the rareness of the bird, etc. but to no avail. The man wanted no one there and expressed a desire to tell other folks to stay away. I am getting all of this second-hand, but I think the jist of it is pretty accurate. I wonder if the people who own the Byesville Scenic railway bought this section of track and are in the process of fixing it up for use by the scenic railway. Please note: while there
 are no signs posted on the tracks regarding private property...it seems as if they are "owned" by someone or some group. Please be aware that you may run into this person or his associates and they do not seem to want anyone on the tracks...for any reason.

I can shed no more light on the issue currently, but I just wanted to make folks aware that they may run into problems tomorrow or in the future if they visit the site. The "owners" were made aware that others might be coming. so they know that people may be coming back to the area.

If anyone encounters these folks, please post any additional information. Unfortunately, one of the easiest and most cooperative White Ibis ever seen in the state, might have just gotten a bit harder to see.

Good luck...and good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson

Graduate Student

Ohio University

Department of Environmental and Plant Biology

315 Porter Hall

Athens, Oh  45701

740-593-1126