OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:37:29 -0700
I went up to Conneaut harbor again yesterday, arriving about 1:15 PM.  I stayed until 5:30 or so.  Stormy weather meant virtually no humans out on the spit the whole afternoon.  PA birder Mark Vass showed up towards the end of my stay, and informed me he had discovered an Am. avocet at a pond on the PA side of Pymatuning.  See the PA birding listserv for details.  Birds at Conneaut included black-bellied plover, lesser yellowlegs, spotted sandpiper, 3 sanderlings, semipalmated sandpipers, least sandpipers, short-billed dowitcher, 500+ ring-billed gulls, 9 Caspian terns, belted kingfisher, purple martins, and more than the usual yellow warblers.  In the early evening I went down to Pymatuning.  At the Ohio side of the causeway were 2 great egrets and cliff swallows.  This morning I returned to Conneaut for a couple hours.  A semipalmated plover was the only different shorebird.  However, there were 7 imm. bald eagles, green heron, 300+ bank
 swallows, marsh wren, and obvious migrant yellow warblers.  On the way back home in rural Ashtabula Co. and northern Trumbull Co. I encountered 4 Am. kestrels and a hen wild turkey w/young.  Later, Craig