OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 2009 01:03:58 -0400
Greetings,

My eyes are weary as I am writing this post, it has taken twice as long due to misspellings that had to be corrected...:)  But I had a great day!...Sort of.

I went up to catch a glimpse of the Ibis at Ottawa, no dice.

But I also went up to work on my goal for the year, So I started heading toward Sandusky to check out the Containment Ponds over on F street.

While heading that way, I remembered that one time I went camping at this camp ground and close to the power plant, and they had Night Herons there.

So I decided to swing by Turtle Creek Campground and check and see if there were any there.
I was there less than 5 minutes and I spotted 10...That is where I took the bulk of my pictures.:
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/Birds/

They hang out like Pelicans in Florida.  The fishermen bring in their catch, clean them at a cleaning area, and leave the remains,
 which get thrown out at the end of the day..until then they are Heron and Gull fodder...And they take full advantage of it...:-)
I went to two of the other campgrounds in the area and found 8 in one and none at the other.
I also saw about 50 gulls Mostly Ring Bills, but there were several Herring mixed in with them.

 I had 18 Black Crowns before I got to Davis Bessie...But that's cheating.
So I continued on over to Sandusky to try and get some pics and a count of the activity over there.

The birds over there are more wary of me and my tripod and didn't really allow me to take any keeper pictures.
But I did add another 10 Black Crowned to my total for the day. 6 Juvis and 4 Adults.

Not giving up on the Ibis, I went back to Ottawa and looked again and walking a couple of the ponds Still didn't find it.
So I went over to Magee to watch The Prothonotarys feeding the little ones.

By then I decided to just head on home.  Had a great day birding.

_______

OT food report.  Sorry, I don't know about you, but when I take a  day to go birding, I don't want McD's for my trip home.
 So When I see a good place I pass it on to fellow birders, and when I find a bad one...
well at least I will be the only one that has to suffer. ;-)

1 good..
TOFT'S IS COOL!!
1 bad..
On the way home, I stopped in at the Chinese Restaurant on 23 in Fostoria...for the first and last time.
Food was eh, ok, but the service was...let me put it this way, you could tell that the owner
didn't want to hire the adult help they needed. Think of Disney's Johnny Shiloh and you'll catch my drift.
_______

Have a great Holiday weekend, (Personally, I'm going to Prospect and just enjoy the booms.)
and remember that as we celebrate the birth of our Nation, it is the willingness of millions of strangers
to give the ultimate sacrifice, whether they do or not, both past and present, that make it possible
for me to write this and for you to read it.

-Steve
sjlarue