OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2009

From:
becky wright <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
becky wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:37:59 -0400
In the course of the last four years Becky Wright and I have spent at least  25 hours  in the 14 priority blocks in Washington County counting birds for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II. In none of the blocks have we exceeded the number of species found 25 years ago, but we do exceed 90 % of that number for all but three blocks (87-89 %). It seemed worthwhile to compare species differences between then and now.

A spreadsheet was drawn up listing those species not found either then or now and the differences summed up for all 14 blocks. It may surprise no one that robins, cardinals, titmice, Carolina wrens, catbirds, red-eyed vireos, red-bellied woodpeckers, song and chipping sparrows, grackles, cowbirds, red-winged blackbirds, goldfinches, chats and common yellowthroats showed no loss or gain in any of the Washington County blocks.

What I found interesting is the species that showed big losses or gains. In 13 of the 14 blocks wild turkeys were counted where they were not seen or heard 25 years ago. Not surprising in view of government efforts to restock the area. Perhaps more surprising is the appearance of red-shouldered hawks in 12 of the blocks for the first time. This was accompanied by the disappearance of kestrels in 12 blocks. Are these two related?

First appearance of great blue herons in 11 of the blocks surprised me. There was no net effect on green herons. I know of two rookeries along the Ohio River in Washington County. Why weren't they there in the '80s? Green herons prefer privacy. I did get to see one nest on a decades-old farm pond surrounded with willows with 4 fluffy feathered nestlings.

Screech owls were missing in 11 of the priority blocks this time. This may be partly due to one pair of atlasers trying to do too much and not taking the time to listen at night in the priority blocks. Perhaps those atlasing 25 years ago lived in their blocks. What we depended on was asking block residents what owls they heard and what they sounded like. Their answers on great-horned owls indicated little change. Barred owls were less reported in 5 of the 14 blocks. Screech owls certainly sound different.

Great crested flycatchers were not found in 9 of the priority blocks where they were reported 25 years ago. Missing in half the blocks were cedar waxwings, grasshopper sparrows and prairie warblers. Cerulean warblers were found in 6 fewer blocks. No bobwhites were recorded in any of the blocks while they were reported in 5 blocks 25 years ago. Ruffed grouse were reported in 6 fewer blocks this time. It may be hard to believe, but rock pigeons were down in 5 of the priority blocks. There are plenty enough to attract peregrine falcons on the big bridges, but fewer barns are storing grain. Canada geese are reported in 5 more blocks than 25 years ago. They do their own harvesting.

Hairy woodpeckers, chimney swifts, willow flycatchers and eastern kingbirds were reported in 5 fewer blocks. Black-and-white warblers were reported in 5 more blocks than 25 years ago.

Changes less than that are probably not significant. If anybody wants to see my spreadsheet, send me an e-mail.

Brad Bond