OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
David Vander Pluym <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 25 Aug 2009 21:44:19 +0000390_- Yesterday (8-24), in a 30 minute time frame, greater than 2000 wood ducks flew in to Tinkers Creek State Nature Preserve.

They landed in the marsh viewed from the north trail.

We counted 2000, however we left ~15 minutes before sunset even though they were still coming in waves.

The place is always a bit "ducky", yet this certainly seems remarkable.
Is it? [...]46_25Aug200921:44:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:43:33 -0400
Greeting birders,
I just joined the listserve as I have just moved her for the fall season.? A small group of us (Lauren Harter, Ryan Trimbath, and Rich Aracil) are banding and doing transect surveys for Erin Cashion of OSU in Hancock (and a little bit in Allen County) thru October as part of a habitat use study.? We've had a few migrants so far listed below (most places are private property unless otherwise noted):
Herring Gull - an adult and a juv
Common Tern -
Ruby-throated Hummingbird, adult male with heavy molt on the head (it should be molting on the wintering grounds)
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - Aug 27 and Aug 29
Alder Flycatcher - Aug 27
Willow Flycatcher - Aug 27
Willow/Alder Flycatcher - 6 were banded on Aug 29
Least Flycatchers - Aug 27 and Aug 29
Black-throated Blue Warbler - Aug 29 Van Buren State Park
Magnolia Warbler - Hatch-year female banded on Aug 29
Blackburnian Warbler - Aug 28 at Riverbend Park
Bay-breasted Warbler - Aug 29 in the eastern section of Van Buren State Park
Black-and-white Warbler - Presumed migrant on Aug 27
Mourning Warbler - Hacth-year female banded on Aug 27

Good birding all
David Vander Pluym
Findlay, OH