OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
jill bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jill bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 15:04:33 -0400
Hello Tim & All,

This a.m. Tim Durnell (a local young man, now residing in Washington State) asked for someone to bird with him. Well, I have known his Mom for a long time and was so happy to be able to bird with him. We circled Grand Lake and here is a list of some of the birds we found. I am sure I omitted some!

I did not keep track of the exact location of the birds other than noted.

St Marys Fish Hatchery

Black Tern

Bonaparte Gull

Herring Gull

Ring-billed Gulls

Mallards

Canada Geese

Great Blue Heron

Kingfisher

Mourning Doves

Barn Swallows

Dowithers (?Long or shor?? I vote for Short)

Solitary sandpiper

Killdeer XXXX

Pectoral Sandpiper

Greater Scaup

Semi-palmated sandpiper

Solitary sandpiper

Also seen around the Lake

Canada Geese

Great Egret

Great Blue Heron

Tree Swallows (Mercer Wildlife Area)

Redtail Hawks

And many sparrows but I'm not a sparrow expert!

And Tim was able to help me locate Milkweed for the Monarch Caterpillars in my aquarium. I had 6 butterflies eclose today! Tagged them and sent them on their way - hopefully they will make it to Mexico!

Unfortunately, as we were still observing the shorebirds on a mudflat at the fish hatchry, I backed into a pole and bent the rear bumper on my vehicle. (Second BAD thing I have done in one week! to the car!!!) So I am going home with TIM!!!! Back to Washington!! Oh well, ____ happens!!

It is SO good to be able to post on this list. And to think it was just an incorrect address that has kept me quiet this summer!

Hope you all enjoy the fall birds.

Jill Bowers

Auglaize County