OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 04:45:14 -0400
I spent the last 2 mornings birding areas along this corridor in N.Franklin-S.Delaware Counties, mostly between Alum Lake and Sharon Woods.  Water levels in Alum Lake and most ponds in the area are, unfortunately, too high for much shorebird activity. Only the beach at Alum Lake offered much shoreline, and the birds had to compete with humans for that, so only Kildeer and Ring-billed Gulls were a presence there.  Migation appears to be just beginning for many landbirds, although it's tough to distinguish the migrants from stray residents right now. No place had an obvious 'fallout', though that may change in the upcoming week.  Notables included:

Broad-winged Hawk - the line between migrant and stray blurs here.  A young bird at SummerRidge access at ALumLake was clearly in unfamiliar territory -  not calling & harrassed by crows -- so it likely was a migrant.  I also looked for a bird reported by Bill Whan at Sharon Woods several days earlier, but struck out.  This was a calling adult, so it was unclear if it had spent more time in this appropriate habitat, or was just passing through.

Wood Pewee - still good numbers of calling birds both at Alum Lake & Sharon Woods.  Are they residents or noisy migrants?  I don't know.

Swallows - a good mixed flock of 30 Barn Swallows, 20 Cliff Swallows, and 4 Rough-wings had accumulated over the beach area and nearby open lake at Alum Lake.  These were almost certainly migrants, espcially since the Cliff Swallow colony at the nearby dam has had few birds for over a week now.

Gnatcatchers - 2-5 of these doughty little birds showed up at almost all locations, numbers well-above the summer residents.  This is near the peak of their migration, so look and listen for them now.  They give a distinctive call when migrating, a 'zeeeee zipzipzip' that may help them keep tabs on each other.

Warblers - a Yellow at the beach area in Alum and a Redstart at Shrock Lake in Sharon Woods were almost certainly migrants, since most residents of these species have been absent for several weeks.

Scarlet Tanagers - females at New Galena and Heritage Park (along Alum Creek in Westerville) are almost certainly migrants, being non-calling birds in spots that don't have them.

Baltimore Orioles - 2 birds at Alum Lake and another 2 at Shrock Lake were migrants, possibly among the last of them that I'll see here this year.