OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:54:13 -0400
Craig:

I'll add my kudos to the rest for finding this bird and sparking a great discussion on Ohio-birds. I also lurk on the ID frontiers list where the bird is being discussed, and several folks are writing the bird off as a Semipalmated Sandpiper based on the B. Norton web photos. It would be very good for someone to note on ID Frontiers that those photos may NOT show the "MS" as you just indicated, and also to note the behavior and the call note differences you observed, which to my knowledge were not brought up in any discussion there. If you and others who saw the bird are pretty certain it was a stint and not a semipalmated, then ideally someone who saw the bird should post the additional information to ID Frontiers. Wish I could have seen it, but I don't know that I have the knowledge to pick it out of a crowd.

Regards,
Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio