OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:34:29 -0400
On August 27, in response to a post of mine,  "Jen S" or "Anonymous" or
"jenniferpjj at yahoo.com" wrote:

> More than once you have injected your political views into your postings.
> I take offense to this.

Jen S, you may have intended to send this message just to me privately, but
you posted it in public so I'll respond in public.

If I were posting anything political to Ohio-Birds, I could understand your
point.  We all get bombarded with too much political nonsense all the time
in our daily lives, and we don't need to have politics invade our
recreational birding.  I've been racking my brains to try to remember any
time in the past when I wrote anything political on Ohio-Birds, and I just
can't recall any instance of that, but if I did, I apologize.  (Three days
ago I posted information about Red Knots at Pickerel Creek, but "Red" is
part of their name, and I didn't mean that they were communists!)  But I'm
certainly not going to apologize for this most recent post, and I challenge
you or anyone to show me how there was anything political about what I wrote
on August 26th.  It was an announcement about a conference to promote
birding and promote bird conservation.  How on earth is that political??

You could claim that this got into politics, in a sense, if we had some
political parties that favored fairness and equality and diversity, and
other political parties that were opposed to these things, but I don't think
you'll find any mainstream parties here in the U.S. that would fit into the
latter category.  I mean -- this is the United States of America.  I know
there is still some racism around, but that's not a political stance, just a
matter of ignorance, and it can be cured by simply learning more about real
people and the real world.

I hasten to add, Jen S, that I'm NOT accusing you of being a racist.  But I
still AM totally mystified by your post.  We are trying to promote birding
and to promote healthy diversity.  How is that political?

Best wishes

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio

For anyone else who's as mystified as I am, here's the original post.