OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:31:21 -0400
        I agree a hundred percent with Kenn Kaufman's assertion that he had no
political message in mind when he posted about a conference to get
minorities more involved in birding. Politics involves the exercise of
various influences on public policy, mostly in the ways government
exercises its powers. It's an entirely acceptable, legitimate, and
important all-American thing, but reaching out to minorities in
conservation/recreation activities seems non-political to me.
        I think nearly all of us are--or should be--interested in politics, but
in keeping with ohio-birds guidelines--which advise against, but do not
absolutely forbid it, all in the interest of politeness and amity--we
try to talk about things with which all reasonable readers will be
comfortable, or at the very least to be rational and polite.  I think
Kenn, and I and others, have posted messages with political overtones in
the past, but without offending anyone other than the powers that be,
and sometimes even to honor them. But what it is it about getting
minorities more involved in birding that could offend anyone? Reliable
information, not rhetoric, and the chance to learn more, is what we
need, and that's what Kenn offered.
Bill Whan
Columbus