OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:14:36 -0400
As we set off for some later morning birding, Dave Slager asked me if it was worth going (it was 8:40am). He was just giving me a hard time for sleeping in. But it was indeed worth going out today, even though there weren't huge numbers of neotropical migrants this morning we did find enough to tickle our fancies. We hit some trail near the water at Darby Creek Metro park (near the railroad bridge). Best birds were WILSON's WARBLER, YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHERS, BAYBREASTED WARBLER, YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER, and TENNESSEE WARBLER. I guess its hard to pick a best bird. But I'm voting Yellow-bellied Flycatcher since before we got there and for the past week or so, Dave's been prattling on about this bird. Well he called it, I saw the first one and then we heard one calling incessantly from a bit of a clearing on the trail. Over and over it called for about 8 repetitions and we both caught a glimpse of it as it flew into thicker cover. It wanted us to know for sure what it was. The
 n we had another view of one further down the path, a very cool bird with its subtle yet still strangely noticeable yellow tones. Oh and another highlight later was a great view of a lovely adult male SUMMER TANAGER down at eye-level. Following that we had a nice VEERY. ?It was good birding for sure. Later, Dave confessed, "I Love Migration". Don't we all? Heres a list:
Wilson's Warbler - 1 female/first fall. cute little chipper!

Bay-breasted Warbler- 1 fall male, lookin cool.?

Yellow-throated Warbler - 1

Tennessee Warbler ?- 1?

Common Yellowthroat- 5

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 6

Scarlet Tanager: 3 (one singing away, silly guy)

Summer Tanager - 1 male

Eastern Wood Pewee - 2

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - 2 maybe three.?

Cedar Waxwings

Rose-breasted Grosbeaks - 4

Chimney Swifts - 2

Veery