OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
jill bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jill bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:41:18 -0400
Hey All,

" Birding is political. How can we stand by and not give voice to
 protect what we all love?
 One of my favorite things is trying to capture the imaginations of
 people that are not birders, Few people
 for example, are not astonished when they see a hummingbird and learn
 that it flew non stop across the Gulf of Mexico to
 get to their neighborhood. That they exist at all let alone live
 among us is a blessing that should be shared."

I agree with Terry & Heli regarding educating "non-birders". As a Bald Eagle Monitor for the ODNR, I REALLY enjoy sharing my scope with people (especially WWII Vets - who will be astonished and teary-eyed when they say "I never thought I would EVER see a Bald Eagle!!")

And raising Monarch Butterflies, it is such a privilege to share my passion with both children & adults who have NO IDEA about the importance of MILKWEED to the Monach!

Education IS important if we are to continue to enjoy our passion!! And that means ALL PEOPLE of the WORLD!

Sorry, didn't mean to spout-off but IT IS IMPORTANT!!!

Jill Bowers

Auglaize County