OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:43:14 -0400
Yesterday my wife Denise accompanied me on a jobsite visit to Ashtabula, knowing that later we were going to bird the Conneaut harbor area! On our arrival at the sandspit we immediately saw three new species for the fall; a Willet, an American Golden-Plover, and a Red Knot. What a great way to get started! Later, all three actually posed together for a picture with a backdrop of Swamp Rose Mallow flowers, how cool is that; only in Conneaut! It was a peaceful afternoon; locals were replaced by a large gathering of Turkey Vultures on the beach. We had great afternoon birding companions in Sally Isacco and Craig Holt, who previously posted the highlights.
I have been fortunate that my job as an engineer has allowed me to make many visits to Conneaut over the years. Even after all the time I have spent here, I still get excited every visit thinking about what may be found, birdlife or local entertainment! Being able to get so close to the birds and the number of unusual species seen, definitely makes this place special. The tolerance of people by the birds affords the opportunity to witness some remarkable happenings! Some examples yesterday were: a Peregrine Falcon zipping thru and terrorizing nearly all the avian visitors; the only birds that did not flush and leave were: the Willet, it hunkered down in a tire depression, looking like it was sitting on a nest; a Great Blue Heron, with the look of don't fool with me; and a group of Teal and Mallards that circled the wagons and put themselves in one tight hudded mass. Apparently the falcon was not in kill mode! Shortly after it's departure the smaller shorebirds returned. Also, two Semipalmated Plovers gave the appearance of displaying and then began butting chests. A breeding plumaged Black-bellied Plover made passes overhead but never landed, not unusual here. Six Bald Eagles were seemingly entertained by disrupting the enormous gull concentrations on the breakwalls. The activities viewed and enjoyed could go on and on.
Conneaut,Ohio may not be The Dry Tortugas in Florida or Nome, Alaska or Ramsey Canyon,Arizona, but on some days, it can rank right up there.

Bob Lane