OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 2009 08:09:53 -0400
Just ahead of the heavy rain last evening, 25 C. Geese clattered into
my pond, settling
in among the 38 wood ducks.

Two were hybrids.  The most distinctive was the same size and shape as
the C. Goose,
but had a bright, black & white speckled neck, soft tan/whitish cheeks
and pate. Black
beak.  The other had a decidedly brown head and neck, with tan cheeks.

Cruising net photos I see lots of greylag/c.goose combos that resemble
the first one.  They sat
out the one heavy rain, and took off again.

Also, earlier in the evening, cruising low over the fields out back
two marsh hawks.
A beautiful grey male, and, the other brown, I didn't look at
carefully enough to tell if it was
a juvenile or female.

Inga Schmidt
Chagrin River Rd at the Geauga/Cuy Co. line