OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:17:12 -0700
I went to Wildwood State Park at E. 174th & Lakeshore Blvd. on the east side of Cleveland this morning.  I was there from about 10:30am to 3:30pm.  It was very windy from the west so the birds were only in certain areas today.  After about an hour I ran into Mark Anderson and we kept walking around and around trying to find migrants.  Most of the warblers were in the main woods west of the road/bridge closer to the lake.  We would find small pockets throughout the period.  This is our small list hightlights:

Double-crested Cormorants - many flying both ways
Green Heron 1
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 immature (I returned after 6:30 and saw in creek)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2 (one seen after 6:30pm)
Empidonax Flycatchers  6
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers 3
Swainson's Thrush 1
Nashville Warbler  7-8
Yellow Warblers 3-4
Chestnut-sided Warbler  3-4
Magnolia Warbler  6
Black-throated Blue Warbler 1 f
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Blackburnian Warbler 2
Black-and-white Warbler 1
American Redstart  4-5
Ovenbird  2  (together) possibly another
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's Warbler 2
Canada Warbler  2 or 3 (found another after 6:30pm)
Northern Flickers, many Robins, B. Oriole, many BC Chickadees

I then went to Sims Park in Euclid around 3:45pm.  The only warblers I saw at this hour were on the far east side of the parking lot east of Henn Mansion behind the trash dumpsters.  There was a small area of trees and bushes between parking lot and the apartments where there were pockets of warblers running south about 150 feet to the black walnut trees.  Saw the following warblers:
Yellow,  Chesnut-sided, Magnolia, Blackburnian, Blackpoll (didn't see at Wildwood), American Redstarts, Wilson's.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/