OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:02:14 EDT
As previously posted by Paula Lozano I observed a single Raven this morning
 around 10:00 AM flying west - southwest. It was first observed on the NASA
 property (near building #60). At first I thought it to be a Bald Eagle but
 the flight was not right. It turned and started to soar appearing to being
 trying to catch a thermal. As I was about to enter the building I was
working in  I did not have binos with me and was thinking by the time I get to
the truck to  get them it would be long gone, but then it turned east and
flew back near the  property and wood line . At that point I went to get the
binos and my work  partner was getting out of his vehicle and I told him to
look at the Raven. He  asked why isn't it a Bald Eagle? I told him the soaring
and wedged  tail along with the way the wings flapped were the difference.
I  handed him the binos and told him to get a look at the tail while I
located my  field guide. I handed the guide to him and I continued to observe it
for 3-4  minutes soaring, occasionally flapping it wings. As it soared
west-southwest it was gaining in altitude. Based on the soaring, wedged tail and
 large size I am confident that this was a Raven.
Lou Gardella
Garfield Heights