OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Lana Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lana Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 18:30:15 -0400
Wednesday
I arrived around 11am.  There was one Avocet.  A second one arrived
right before sunset.  Other birds seen were: Semipalmated Plover,
Killdeer, Sanderling, Least Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper.   By late
afternoon the Avocet was really the only bird around until the second
one flew in at sunset.  Two groups of locals got into a pretty heated
argument over one group doing donuts, knocking over a garbage can with
their vehicle, and racing through the water.   The other group had
children and were concerned with their safety although pretty
"vocal".   Just after one group left, the police came.....eventually 2
cruisers were there trying to sort it all out.

Thursday
Early in the morning there were 4 Ruddy Turnstones, Greater
Yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers, Semipalmated
Sandpiper, Killdeer, 2 Sanderlings, and a Black Bellied Plover.  By
evening there were only 4 Least Sandpipers and 1 Sanderling. It was
nice finally meeting Bill Whan and seeing Bob Royse again.

The interesting part of the day were the waterspouts that occurred out
on the water.   At one time there were 9 waterspouts  coming from the
enormous dark cloud.   It was my first experience with a waterspout.
I have always heard about them.....in Florida but was surprised to
learn that they are also common on the Great Lakes.

Friday
At 6am there were 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 4 Killdeer, 5 Least Sandpiper,
and 2 Semipalmated Plovers.  By 7:15 there were no birds.   I decided
to come on home at that point.

It looks like the water is drying up faster that I had thought it
might.  There was a lot of water when I was there a little over a week
ago and I'd estimate that maybe only half as much now exists.   I was
disappointed in the lack of shorebirds as a whole.   Very few birds
seem to spend any time in the main "pond".   I don't know if there
isn't the proper food or if there just isn't that many birds coming
through.

I've posted some images of the Avocet along with a couple of other
birds and one of the waterspouts.
(What's New 8/7/09)

Lana Hays
Northern Kentucky