OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Aug 2009 23:33:16 -0400
I had a chance to roam this MetroPark SE of Columbus for most of the day today as part of the Darby Butterfly Count.  Butterflies were pretty meager, probably victims of the weird weather this summer, but birds were plentiful.  A few notes on locations and unsual birds:

Wetlands - the new Darby Dan Wetlands (along Darby Creek Drive near Kuhlwein) remain interesting, but the wetlands are now almost entirely obscured by vegetation.  There were some Kildeer, 1 Spotted, and 1 Solitary Sandpiper visible, and who-knows-what lurking out of sight.  If ever a site screamed for a viewing platform, it's this flat area.  But a new wetland is being built out along Geogesville Rd (between Georgesville and Darbydale), and it may offer better shorebird options this year.

Grasslands - the new Greenway Trail (which goes right by the wetlands) affords good access to lots of grasslands, both natural and manicured (like the Darby Dan Farm pastures).  I was able to quickly find Savannah, Grasshopper, and Vesper Sparrows along the trail, as well as Meadowlarks.  No 'grasspipers' in the expansive Farm pastures, however.

Yellow-billed Cuckoos - they may be disappearing from other areas of central Ohio, but remain strong here.  I heard 1 on the Trail of Ancients, and saw another down near the St 652 bridge.

Flycatchers - much post-breeding dispersal, with lots of calling birds, some trailing youngsters, at many areas along the creek.   The haul included Wood Pewees, Crested Flycatchers, Acadian Flycatchers, and E. Kingbirds.

White-eyed Vireos - low numbers in many other places this season, but not here: I heard 3 singing birds at different locations today (Cedar Ridge, Trail of Ancients, Grassle Road).

Summer Tanagers - after going years without seeing any in this area, today I found two.  I was a calling female right near the Cedar Lodge at Cedar Ridge, while the other was a singing male down near the St 652 bridge over Darby Creek in the southern reaches of the park.