OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:26:30 GMT
Acting on the tip about Jim Fry's noontime (yesterday) sighting, I asked my wife if she wanted to go for a beautiful drive down to Lake Logan (48 miles through the by-ways of Muskingum, Perry, Fairfield and Hocking Counties.) I am only home for six days this time (I travel a lot on business) and I would not have made the trip if she didn't come. She graciously agreed and knitted a hat during the excursion, as we also admired and critiqued other peoples' farms and animals.

I generally don't chase birds, which I suppose accounts for my rather paltry NA life list after fourteen-plus years. But I began the year with 386, and it seemed appropriate to try to push it to 400 in 2009. I am so close.

The little blue heron was number 399. This is a species I always figured I would see sometime, so I never chased it. Yesterday's auto tour with Jane did the trick. As advertised, I spotted the white juvenile heron at the shallow upper end of the lake. We parked right by the dike that parallels Evans Rd. and walked out to get a closer look. Other waders in the area included many great blue herons, a green heron in the vegetation along the near shore (really close) and a great egret along the far shore below the B & B. As I watched the little blue heron it waded through the shallows out to a raft of ducks, allowing a good perspective on size. A couple of mute swans were out on the water in this part of the lake too. Another couple came up, saw me peering at the birds with my binoculars, and the woman asked, "Are those trumpeting swans?" I said, "No Ma'am. Those are called mute swans, and they are not native to this area." "Well, what about those white cranes?" I patiently explained, "Well the big one along the far shore is called a great egret, and you usually see a few of those in the summer around any significant lake in Ohio. The little one right here is a young little blue heron, and next year when it is older it will turn bluish gray. They are pretty uncommon here, although not unheard of." Although my information probably just added to their confusion, at least they were better informed.

As we watched, the great egret along the far shore took umbrage at the presence of the smaller white bird, and flew toward it, rousting the young punk twice from its fishing spots. Ultimately, the little blue flew out of binocular range down the western shore of the lake.

I'm glad to here that Jim Fry saw it back in its usual location later. Cool bird! And I got to see some nice behaviors, always good with a life sighting. If anyone goes looking for it you should bear in mind my experience and know that if it is not present it should be elsewhere near by, and it will probably be returning.

Note: Signs at this park say something like, "Please do not feed or disturb the swans. The Management" I know this is a double-edged sword. Folks should not feed the waterfowl. But I saw no fewer than 6 almost fully grown cygnets of this weed-bird cavorting around with several adults. It seems to me that some form of official disturbance is in order. I saw one double-crested cormorant while I was there, which seemed nicely in balance with the natural system. The swans? Yuck! "The Management" should consider their practices and "management." I know, for some reason people love swans.

Bob Evans
Geologist, Farmer, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County