OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Steve Moeckel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Moeckel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 05:50:22 -0400
I sent some of the discussion regarding Shawnee and Daniel Boone to Fred
Shaw (aka Neeake, Shawnee Storyteller) and asked for his thoughts.
Steve,
       I sent your message to a Shawnee elder is who well-versed in our
language.  He does not know of such a word as "kind messenger" as applied
to a bird.  He said that the raucous call of the blue jay often was taken
as a warning, but that doesn't fit the bird being unusual in the area.
      One thought that I have is that it may have been an introduced
species.  For instance, honey bees were called "white men's flies" and
were seen as a sign of impending trouble since it meant that the settlers
were moving into the area.  Could that be true of an introduced bird from
England that was moving into the area?  Hence, another warning that the
world was being changed, and not in our favor.
       I wish I could be of more help.

  Fred