OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:18:06 -0400
A couple friends and I birded at Pickerel Creek Wildlife area on
Saturday. We first stopped at the observation tower on Route 6. From
there we walked west to the first dike and then north. We found quite a
few shorebirds including Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers, Least
and Semipalmated Sandpipers, Solitary Sandpipers, a couple Spotted
Sandpipers, Semipalmated Plovers, and a Red-necked Phalarope. From there
we drove to Ottawa NWR and walked to impoundment 2A. There were a few
shorebirds but not much. There were at least 15 Snowy Egrets in that
impoundment and the one to the east. We also saw one immature Little
Blue Heron but it didn't stick around long. We heard that an Upland
Sandpiper had been reported earlier but we didn't find it. After that we
returned to Pickerel Creek. We stopped at the next parking area east of
the tower and walked straight north past a small woodlot. A little ways
past the woodlot we looked to the east where there were a number of
shorebirds including an American Golden Plover, a few Stilt Sandpipers,
a couple Black-bellied Plovers, and a Wilson's Phalarope.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio