OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:41:12 -0400
I spent the morning roaming around this area between Columbus and Delaware, stopping at several areas along the Reservoir, as well as some forested parks in and north of Powell (Traphagen, Beechwood, Liberty, and DeerHaven).  I was looking for strays and early migrants, but found them mostly only along the Reservoir.  Upland areas still seem firmly in the grip of Summer.  Notables included:

Cormorants - 25+ near O'Shaughnessy dam is far more than the meager local population, signaling the first major movement of these guys.

Common Terns - 2 sitting on pylons north of the dam were also definite migrants

Broad-winged Hawk - 1 adult soaring over DeerHaven was almost certainly a stray.  They don't breed in the area, but a few always stray to large forest areas around here in August.

Swifts & Swallows - a sizeable mixed flock of 60+ birds was feeding over the reservoir, and likely were migrants.  It included 30 Barn, 20 swifts, and 10 Cliffs.  More birds seemed to be trickling down the reservoir all morning, so it might be a good idea to look for migrant swallows over large bodies of water over the next 1-2 weeks.

DeerHaven Preserve was a pleasant surprise.  It's a new Delaware Preservation Parks site, and it has a good mix of habitats squeezed into a small area.  Even as hot as the afternoon was, there was still bird acitivity in the forested ravines along the southern portion of the park.  This was where the Broad-winged was soaring.  I also had a Red Fox trotting down through one of the ravines, always a good omen.