OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 19:24:22 -0700
From approximately 3 PM onward, single MARBLED and HUDSONIAN GODWITS were present at Pickerel Creek WA, north of the woodlot.  At times, both birds fed side-by-side, and never strayed far from each other for Emil Bacik, Laura Keene & husband, Jerry Talkington, and I.  I was unfortunately cameraless, but Jerry and Laura took some nice shots to be sure.  Also in this impoundment: White-rumped Sandpiper (3), Long-billed Dowitcher (2 juv), and Wilson's Phalarope (2).  The Hudsonian is an adult bird, interestingly quite advanced in it's basic molt.  A single Baird's was present earlier in the day, and the Red-necked Phalarope was in its usual spot north of the observation platform, fide Emil and Jerry.  Thanks Ethan for the heads up earlier in the day!

Also worth noting, mid-afternoon light (<4 PM) is absolutely superb for viewing pipers at this impoundment.  On the contrary, it's not so helpful looking east from the observation platform area, or at the first pond on CR 254, to the west, which contained 120 Lesser Yellowlegs and a number of other common shorebirds this afternoon.

A quick stop at Pipe Creek turned up good habitat, but nothing else of note.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland