OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:11:58 -0400
I've been sitting around the house getting cabin fever as I have had a sinus infection [the sinuses are winning] and tonight I got some relief. The window at my desk looks out onto the field where I installed a meager Bluebird trial. Some quick motion caught my eye and I looked out to see a nice number of Common Nighthawks flitting over the field and some going right past the window. These were the first nighthawks I've seen this year and the most that I've seen together for several years. At our old house we used to see them on a regular basis and during the fall migration it was not unusual to have a few nights with 50 to 100 overhead. I once had a non-birding neighbor call to ask if Alfred Hitchcock's birds were on the loose. After heart surgery, ergo, don't go near a snow shovel, we sold the house and moved into a condo. We've missed our backyard which was landscaped to attract birds but now I'm minutes away from my Prothonotary Warbler Nest Box Trail rather than 10 miles
  away. There is always a silver lining if we look for it. Now if I could find a way to have 250 Prothonotary nets boxes and 16 Bluebird nest boxes self clear I would have it made.

Charlie Bombaci