OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:47:45 -0400
When we departed the sandspit at 6PM, just prior to the monsoon hitting! The possible Stint was still present. Something to think about while looking for the little celebrity; this bird can be easily overlooked. While in our vehicle, unknowingly very nearby, we initially found it by seeing a Sanderling chasing something; it! To get to the location we found it at: follow the edge of the water to the sandspit and drive straight toward the lighthouse. There is a small disturbed mudflat depression on the edge of the lagoon, look for a yellow cardboard box, this is where our new friend was feeding. This bird is fearless! While in it's feeding frenzy, with us now out of the vehicle, it literally approached us within five feet. At another time a guy on a bicycle passed within ten feet not even phasing it! Except for a part time Semipalmated Plover buddy, and the chasing Sanderling, it was always by itself. The bird was never in the normal interior shorebird area, where most of the other good stuff was! The two and one half hours here today produced more total species than any of the past visits. Hopefully the heavy rains did not disturb things to much. Good luck if you visit on Friday.

Bob and Denise Lane