OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:48:07 EDT
Hello!

While returning from 2 days of birding at Conneaut and the Pickerel Creek
WA area last evening, Dan Sanders, Doreene Linzell, and I stopped at
Killdeer  Plains WA where we observed 13 Black Terns flying over the easternmost
cell of  Pond 27.  At the 2 impoundments in the northeast quadrant of the
intersection of CH-71 and TH-108, we observed 3 Common Moorhens (2 juv), a
handful of Greater Yellowlegs, and 6 Stilt Sandpipers.

Afterwards, we stopped at the impoundment at Big Island where the Hudsonian
 Godwit took up temporary residence last October (west of the observation
platform on the north side of Rte. 95).  There was a decent  assortment of
shorebirds there but not in any significant numbers.  This  impoundment
should provide decent habitat in the upcoming weeks.   Shorebirds observed there
included the following:

Lesser Yellowlegs-several
Greater Yellowlegs-a couple
Least Sandpipers-some
Spotted Sandpipers-3
Pectoral Sandpipers-17
Killdeer-several
Wilson's Snipe-1
Stilt Sandpiper-1

Maps of Killdeer and Big Island can be found on the ODNR web  site.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio