OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2009

From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 20:01:52 -0700
The relatively small Kiwanis Park was raining migrants (and rain) today, including over 30 rose breasted grosbeaks and lots of warblers and thrushes.  Unfortunately the absolute deluge made warbler ID a bit tricky in some cases (even the Cedar Waxwings looked disheveled!).  Tomorrow will hopefully be a bit drier.

Warblers and others observed at Kiwanis (other sites listed below):

Black-and-white (only singing warbler)
Black-throated green
Yellow-throated
Magnolia
Blackpoll
American redstart
Chestnut-sided
Ovenbird
Northern parula
Possible Mourning (skulky guy, couldn't get a good look).
White-eyed vireo (almost landed on my head!)
Warbling vireo
Veery
Swainson's thrush
Gray-cheeked thrush
American robin
Cedar waxwing (over 50)
Eastern phoebe
Eastern wood-pewee
Great crested flycatcher
Empid. sp.
Osprey
Kingfisher
Red-bellied woodpecker
Downy woodpecker
Northern flicker
White-breasted nuthatch
Wood duck
Mallard
Great blue heron
Carolina wren
Possible Winter wren (chattery petit wren that dissapeared into the     wetland vegetation and never reemerged for a better look)
Chimney swift
Bluejay
Northern Cardinal
Probably a few more I'm forgetting or didn't get a good enough look to positively ID!

I also stopped by Darby Creek Metropark in the morning but the area I visited lacked migrants, with the notable exception of two yellow-bellied flycatchers.

I tried to find Charlie's Connecticut warbler at Oxbow in the afternoon (a nemesis life bird for me) but the rain was of even more biblical proportions up north and I only located a handful on non-connecticut warblers and a philly vireo (hope for better luck in the morning).

The rain kept all other humans away, and made for some sublime birding (but I do hope to see a few more of you out there tomorrow!)

Cheers,
Heather